Balancing acid, alkaline important in healthy diet

Q: I was recently diagnosed with cancer and was told that my system was acidic. I have since read that your pH must be balanced in order for your system to be healthy. My questions for you are: Can you please explain what pH is?
Is there a general rule on what foods are acidic or alkaline? And, is there any suggested reading regarding pH balance that you could recommend?

A: The acid/alkaline balance of your system is referred to as pH, which is an acronym for potential of hydration. Without going into the chemistry detail, the most important factor to remember is that ideal pH is neutral at 7.0. A pH below 7.0 is considered acid while a reading above 7.0 is considered alkaline.

It is critical that the body stay balanced at 7.0. Because so much of the Western diet contains highly processed and genetically modified foods, it can cause an imbalance in the blood pH which can lead to irritation and inflammation and sets the stage for sickness. (The movie "Supersize Me" is a prime example.) Having lived abroad for almost 20 years observing diets and lifestyles, those countries where individuals consumed diets of live food rather than over-processed foods, their pH maintained balance and therefore their health was exceptional.

Foods are classified as acid forming (meats, processed food, dairy) or alkalizing (vegetables, most citrus fruits, nuts) depending on the effect they have on the body; therefore, it is important to eat 80 percent alkaline foods and 20 percent acid-forming foods.

Q: Since reading your weekly column, I have become more aware of food labels and am trying to get in the habit of reading them. I happened to read the food label on a container of No Sugar Added light ice cream that I have had in the freezer and noticed one of the ingredients was Acesulfame Potassium. I know you say if you cannot pronounce the ingredient, you should not eat it. Now that I am almost done with it, I am sure that if you can explain to me what it is, I will not buy another.

A: Acesulfame Potassium, acesulfame-K, or ACK, is a calorie-free, artificial sweetener that is frequently used with other artificial sweeteners to mask bitterness. The Food and Drug Administration approved ACK almost 15 years ago, but, according to David Zincenko, author of "Eat This Not That," some health groups claimed the decision was based on flawed tests.

Animal studies have linked ACK to lung and breast tumors.

Based on my research, and according to the Department of Environmental and Occupational Health, further studies have been requested on the safety of ACK. As a footnote, I could tell you how to pronounce acesulfame, but if I did, I would not be benefiting you - I can tell you to avoid products that contain this ingredient until further studies are disclosed.

Phylis B. Canion is a doctor of naturopathic medicine and is a certified nutritional consultant, e-mail her at doc.phyl@yahoo.com. This column is for nutritional information only and is not intended to treat, diagnose or cure.

SOURCE: victoriaadvocate

No comments:

Post a Comment